Emeritus Professor Michael Coper AO FAAL
The Council of Australian Law Deans has been saddened to learn of the death of Emeritus Professor Michael Coper AO FAAL. Michael had been a long-standing Dean at the Australian National University and a leader in the law discipline. He was a strong advocate for the recognition of the value of a legal education and the role of law faculties. Michael was an active member of CALD and chaired the Council between 2005 and 2007. He was known for his generosity of spirit and time, his collegiality, and, as the reflection below shows, his good humour.
To pay tribute to Michael’s leadership and influence we asked two past chairs, also colleagues, of CALD, Emeritus Professor Paul Redmond and Emerita Professor Jill McKeough to reflect on his contribution.
CALD is an unincorporated association which has amongst its objectives:
- Consultation on matters of mutual concern to members or their institutions and where appropriate the adoption of common policies;
- The furtherance of legal education in Australia;
- The encouragement of legal research;
- The promotion of cooperation between law schools;
- The maintenance of close relations between law schools and the legal profession;
The Deans of all the law schools in Australia are members of the Council and they meet together three times a year at different locations.