CALD is an unincorporated association which has amongst its objectives:
- Consultation on matters of mutual concern to members or their institutions and where appropriate the adoption of common policies
- The furtherance of legal education in Australia
- The encouragement of legal research
- The promotion of cooperation between law schools
- The maintenance of close relations between law schools and the legal profession.
The Deans of all the law schools in Australia are members of the Council and they meet together three times a year at different locations.