CALD is an unincorporated association which has amongst its objectives:
- Consultation on matters of mutual concern to members or their institutions and where appropriate the adoption of common policies;
- The furtherance of legal education in Australia;
- The encouragement of legal research;
- The promotion of cooperation between law schools;
- The maintenance of close relations between law schools and the legal profession;
The Deans of all the law schools in Australia are members of the Council and they meet together three times a year at different locations.